Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Caught in a Bad Romance...




There is a chance that from that title I lost what little credibility I had, assuming you gave me some credibility. Anyway, the only thing that I have been neglecting more than this blog has been my role as a Yankee fan. The day The Boss past away I started a blog entry, but after 25 minutes of struggling on the first paragraph I walked away.
So why I have I been neglecting my favorite team and my favorite hobby (this blog, I don't think eating is a hobby), well I am slowly becoming an adult, a card carrying member of suburbia. Lizzie and I purchased a house in Beverly, 19 miles north of Boston. I went from living in a Young Professional Frat House, three miles from Fenway to the 'burbs in the beginning of June. It's Friggen nuts.
Since Liz is pretty much a saint she got me the MLB package with Comcast. Why the YES Network is not available baffles me, I wait for that day though...oh Lord do I wait. We have one TV in our living room and partAdd Image of me feels bad hogging it with a Yankee game. When the Yanks are away, the game is broadcast on the home team's network. After three innings of the Orioles announcers and commercials, I became depressed and surrendered the remote. It was the Yankee game, but not the same. And yes, I am well aware that I sound like an ungrateful, spoiled little snot.
Its a long distance relationship with the Yankees, and its hard to stay in tune. I tried subscribing to the Daily News and the NY Times, the News wont deliver to me, and the only Times that is available is the New England Edition. I check the sports sections of the papers online so that helps. At night I get a very static 880 AM in certain parts of town. Sad how happy I was to hear Suzyn Waldman's voice.

Enough moping.

I think the main reason that I have been neglecting the Yankees is that for the first time since I moved up to Mass, I am really genuinely happy. I had an amazing time while I was living in Brighton. My roommates were like a second set of brothers to me, but deep down something was missing. Now that Liz and I got a house, I enjoy watching the Bachelorette with her. Before you dismiss me as a fan or man, let me give some hypothetical scenarios that might better explain my thought process. try one more time to explain.


If the Yanks are playing the Royals: TV with Liz

Yanks playing the Rays: Yanks

Yanks playing at Oakland: Past out on the Couch


I will end on this note.

I finally ask Liz to marry me on July 11th, and I am fortunate enough that she eventually said "yes", there was a good amount of crying and "oh my Gods before I got the answer. Despite the fact that I opened the ring box upside down, it was my greatest accomplishment.


1 comment:

Jim said...

Great post John. One note though. My brother Sean recently moved into a new apartment in Virginia. His new cable provider carries the YES Network, but since he's not in the New York market, it is blacked out when Yankee games are on. I would suspect that would be the case for you also.

But I understand how you feel. On the package, they usually go with the home broadcasters. But there's nothing that angers me more than the rare occasion when I get the road broadcast instead of Vin Scully when the Dodgers are at home.